Military Discharges

Veterans who served in the military during a time of war, and own property in the Town of Plainville may file their military discharges with the Town Clerk in order to receive tax exemptions. An original DD214 or certified copies of the forms will be accepted as proof of prior services in the military andmust be filed by October 1st to entitle the veteran to an exemption on taxes due the following July. 

Pursuant to Statute 1-219 of the Conncticut General Statutes, legislation passed in 2002 states that military discharges are not available for public inspection and are available to: the veteran or his conservator; any public entity needing to establish eligibility for veteran benefits; any person needing information to provide a benefit, any person who acquires a benefit on behalf of the veteran's estate; the state librarian; funeral directors acting on behalf of the state; and authorized genealogists.  

There is no charge to file or for a certified copy of a filed military discharge.

Click here to view the dates determined to be time of war by SEC. 27-103.

To submit a request by mail for a certified copy of a filed discharge, please complete the request form.

Duplicate copies of DD214s can be obtained by requesting and completing the Standard Form 180 (SF 180), Request Pertaining to Military Records. 

This form may be obtained by calling 1-800-827-1000 or by using form. The form should be then:

Mailed to:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Boulevard
St. Louis, MO  63132-5100

For further assistance with regard to veteran exemptions please call the Assessor’s Office at 860-793-0221 Ext. 242