BOARDS & COMMISSIONS - Getting Involved

The Town of Plainville encourages citizen participation in municipal government and welcomes your interest in serving on a board, commission or committee.  Most appointments to boards and commissions are made by the Town Council at their regular meetings.  However, some are made by the Town Manager.  To view the list of current openings/vacancies, please click below.

     Current Board/Commission Openings

Board and Commission Members are expected to attend meetings.  To view the regular meeting schedule, please click below.

     Regular Meeting Schedule for Active Municipal Boards and Commissions

Citizens wishing to serve on a board or commission must:

  1. be a resident of Plainville; and
  2. be a registered voter; and
  3. if applicable, meet the requirement listed in the description below for the board/commission they are interested in applying for; and
  4. complete and submit an application.

Applications received for boards or commissions that do not have a vacancy will be kept on file for two years.

   *        *        *        *        *        *        *

To complete and submit an application, click on the board/commission name below.

Aviation Commission
The Aviation Commission works in cooperation with the Town Manager and is responsible for duties dealing with Robertson Airport and its related activities and facilities. 

Board of Assessment Appeals
The Board of Assessment Appeals is created by CT General Statutes.  The Board holds hearings in March and September with taxpayers who feel their real estate, personal property, and/or motor vehicle assessment is incorrect.  The Board has the power to increase or reduce assessments.

Capital Projects Building Committee
The Capital Projects Building Committee is responsible for the oversight of approved capital building projects, major renovations and major repairs of the Town of Plainville’s buildings, facilities and/or schools facilities.  Experience in the construction industry is preferred.

Committee on Aging
The Committee on Aging is responsible for continuously reviewing the conditions and needs of elderly in the community.  The Committee also reviews services provided by public and private agencies.

Conservation Commission
The Conservation Commission is involved with the development, conservation, supervision and regulation of natural resources and coordinates its efforts with other municipal and state agencies, as appropriate. They sponsor two river cleanups and the annual fishing derby.

Economic Development Agency
The Economic Development Agency is responsible for guiding economic growth in the Town.  The overall goal of the EDA is to encourage new business investment through responsible growth while nurturing the existing business base.  Applicant must be experienced in business or industry or must have an active interest in community economic development.

Housing Authority Commission
The Housing Authority Commission oversees and monitors the performance of the Housing Authority.

Inland Wetlands Commission
The Inland Wetlands Commission is responsible for overseeing the protection of Plainville’s marshes, swamps, ponds, streams and rivers as well as intermittent waterways and vernal pools.  The Commission reviews and acts on requests for permits to conduct activities inside designated wetlands and also enforces regulations.

Plainville Area Cable Television Advisory Council (PACTAC)
The Council advises the Cable Company on all matters, including rates, program schedules and selections, local public, education and governmental access.   Meetings are held monthly at Nutmeg TV in Farmington.

Planning & Zoning Commission
The Planning and Zoning Commission hears land use applications for residential, recreational, commercial and industrial purposes.  Acting under the zoning authority, the Commission is responsible for the establishment and administration of the Town’s zoning regulations.

Recreation & Park Advisory Board
The Advisory Recreation and Park Board and the Recreation Director establish rules for the use of parks, public grounds and recreation facilities.

Recycling & Solid Waste Commission
The Recycling and Solid Waste Commission reviews and recommends proposals for local and regional solid waste disposal and recycling.  The Commission also assists the Town in the discharge of its obligations to be in conformance with State mandated laws affecting the collection, disposal and recycling of solid waste and other refuse.

Veterans Council
The Veterans Council assists Veterans, their widows and dependent children with medical expenses, emergency authorizations, weekly benefits and burial expenses.  Applicant must be a Veteran.

Zoning Board of Appeals
The Zoning Board of Appeals has the powers and duties under CT General Statutes to: a) vary the zoning regulations under certain circumstances; b) grant approval for motor vehicle repair shops, new and used car dealerships; and c) hear and decide appeals decisions resulting from actions of the Zoning Enforcement Officer.