Plainville, originally part of Farmington, was first settled about 1657 and incorporated as a separate town in July 1869. 

The name developed about 1830 from an earlier reference to the areas as the “Great Plain.” The Town had a population of 1,433 in the first census taken after its incorporation (1870). 

The industrial history of Plainville dates back to about 1828 following the opening of the Farmington Canal and the early industrial sites located in what is now the business section.

For more history on Plainville, feel free to visit the Plainville Historical Society.