The Plainville Town Clerk’s office is the records management and information center for the Town. The Connecticut General Statutes and Town Charter charge the staff with hundreds of functions. Responsibilities include recording, reporting and maintaining land records, vital statistics and maintaining all Town Council, Boards and Commissions agendas, minutes and records; recording and maintaining election results, issuing absentee and conducts a wide range of services. On a daily basis, this office records land records, vital records and licenses. The most important responsibility of the Town Clerk’s office is the keeper of the Town’s records.
The first place any document is recorded is in the land records in the Town Clerk’s office. This information is forwarded to the Assessor so the taxes can be assessed properly and then the Revenue Collector can bill the correct amount to the correct property owner.
The Town Clerk’s Office offers many services, which include:
- Provide Absentee Ballots for all Elections
- Issuing certified copies of Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates
- Updates to the Town Charter & Ordinances
- Issuing Marriage Licenses
- Issuing Dog Licenses
- Maintaining Registry of Justices of the Peace
- Land Record Index-documents pertaining to land transactions
- Filing Federal Military Discharge papers
- Maintaining Town Council Minutes agenda and schedules as well as agenda and minutes of all Town Boards & Committees
- Recording of Trade Names
- Recording of Going Out of Business
- Maintaining local liquor licenses
- Providing Notary Public services