Prevention of fire related injuries to the citizens and members of the Fire Suppression teams and loss of property in Plainville by detailed Fire Code Compliance.
• Enforce CT General Statute Chapter 541 as well as numerous codes that are established under the provision of these statutes.
• Inspect all buildings and facilities of public service and occupancies regulated by the Connecticut State Fire Safety Code and Connecticut Fire Prevention Code. The CSFSC covers all occupancies except 1 and 2 family dwellings and premises used in manufacturing. Inspections include fire suppression systems, fire alarm systems, storage of hazardous materials, certificate of occupancy inspections and code consultations.
• Investigate cause, origin and circumstance of all fires to determine if a crime has been committed, to determine product safety issues and pinpoint areas upon which to concentrate fire prevention education.
• Issue permits for use, transportation and storage of explosives in compliance with State Explosive Regulations.
• Enforce CT Flammable and Combustible Liquids regulations, including inspecting all flammable and combustible liquid storage tanks, all cargo tank vehicles and dispensing facilities (e.g. gasoline stations).
• Inspect the removal of underground gasoline storage tanks.
• Conduct review of plans and specifications for various occupancies and facilities being proposed or renovated within the Town for compliance with the Connecticut Fire Safety Code.
• Provide safety tips and advice to the general public.
• Upon receiving a complaint, inspect 1 and 2 family dwellings to assure statutory requirements regarding smoke detection and warning equipment are satisfied.
• All local fire marshals are also required to attend classes and seminars to remain informed of codes, regulations and new technology. They are required to obtain ninety (90) hours of continuing education credit over a three (3) year period as well as be certified by the State Fire Marshal.