I Need Help With...


Please remember: Senior Center Social Workers are available to explain or help you apply for any of these programs. Call for an appointment.

Abuse, Neglect, Exploitation

Protective Services for the Elderly (PSE)

This program is designed to safeguard people 60 years and older from physical, mental and emotional abuse, neglect and abandonment and/or financial abuse and exploitation. DSS social workers devise a plan of care aimed at assuring an elder's safety while preserving the person’s right of self-determination. Staff may help the person remain in the living situation he or she prefers, safeguard legal rights, prevent bodily injury or harm, determine service needs and then mobilize resources to provide necessary services. 1-888-385-4225


Paying for Health Insurance

Medicare Savings Program

The State of Connecticut offers financial assistance to eligible Medicare enrollees through our 'Medicare Savings Programs.' These programs may help pay Medicare Part B premiums, deductibles and co-insurance. If you qualify for one of the three Medicare Savings Programs (depending on your income), DSS will pay your Medicare Part B premium each month. In addition, some enrollees will be covered for Medicare deductibles and co-insurance.


Access Health CT

Access Health CT (AHCT) is Connecticut’s only official health insurance marketplace. AHCT offers Connecticut residents and employers a range of quality, affordable health and dental insurance options from several health insurance partners. AHCT is the only place where you can qualify for certain affordability programs that can help you pay for your health care coverage. These affordability programs include: Advanced Premium Tax Credits (APTC), Cost-Sharing Reduction Plans, and a number of programs offered through the Department of Social Services i.e. Medicaid (known as HUSKY A and D) and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (known as CHIP or HUSKY B).



Home Care; Help at Home

The Connecticut Home Care Program for Elders

To be eligible, applicants must be 65 years of age or older, be a Connecticut resident, be at risk of nursing home placement and meet the program’s financial eligibility criteria. To be at risk of nursing home placement means that the applicant needs assistance with critical needs such as bathing, dressing, eating, taking medications, toileting. The CHCPE helps eligible clients continue living at home instead of going to a nursing home. Each applicant’s needs are reviewed to determine if the applicant may remain at home with the help of home care services.1-800-445-5394


Center for Healthy Aging

The Center for Healthy Aging conducts and supports research, outreach and educational activities focused on promoting health and well-being from early adulthood into later-life. Connecticut Center for Healthy Aging is a resource and assessment center designed to enhance access to services and information related to attaining optimal quality of life for seniors and their caregivers



Paying for Food

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as Food Stamps, helps eligible individuals afford the cost of food at supermarkets, grocery stores and farmers’ markets. Eligibility for 60+ is determined by the household’s income, shelter and medical costs. You can complete an online application or mail to DSS. The Outreach staff of the Plainville Senior Center can assist as well. With this state application you can also apply for Medicaid for the Aged/Blind/Disabled (HUSKY C), and/or cash assistance.




Mobile Foodshare uses trucks to bring perishable foods-fresh fruits and vegetables, dairy, meat, and bread-directly to people in need. Our trucks visit each of those sites once every two weeks. Each site is hosted by a different organization, and each has its own arrangements, but for most there are no restrictions on who can pick up food. Please remember to bring a bag or box with you to carry your food.



Plainville Community Food Pantry

The Plainville Community Food Pantry, Inc. is a non-profit outreach agency that provides food, energy assistance, clothing, crisis intervention and referral services to individuals in need. In addition to its regular programs, the pantry offers special programs for the registered children of its adult clients for birthdays, holidays, and back to school time.



Meals on Wheels

CW Resources provides dietitian-certified nutritious home delivered meals for individuals 60 years of age and older and assessed as being homebound. Lunch and supper meals are available. All home delivered meals are available in therapeutic diets. For further information please call CW Resources 860-229-7700


Seventh Day Adventist Food Church

97 Broad Street

Plainville, CT 06062


The Plainville SDA Food Pantry is open on Wednesdays 11 am - 4:30 pm or by appointments. Food and clothing are available. Presently, on a monthly basis we are giving out 350 large boxes of groceries to needy families. We provide warm clothing in the winter months. Last winter we were able to provide over 100 people with warm coats.




2-1-1 is your one-stop connection to the local services you need, from utility assistance, food, housing, child care, after school programs, elder care, crisis intervention and much more. 2-1-1 is always ready to assist you find the help you need. Dial 2-1-1 or search online. If you are outside of Connecticut or have a problem using the 2-1-1-number, dial 1-800-203-1234.


Energy Costs

Bristol Community Organization

Through state, federal, and private funds, the energy department is able to provide eligible households with assistance in meeting their home heating and energy costs. Referral and counseling services are also available to provide information regarding energy conservation and consumption, and help with termination of utility services. Weatherization of homes and apartments is available to those meeting eligibility requirements.




Plainville Housing Authority

The Plainville Housing Authority currently maintains 120 units of State housing for the Elderly and Disabled. Applicants must be 62 years of age or permanently disabled under the Social Security Act.

There is a waiting list for an apartment. The waiting list is currently closed. Please call for more information.


Torrant House

118 Broad Street

Plainvillle, CT 06062

Torrant House is a HUD Apartment. Although these are apartments are available to both seniors and non-seniors, 26 of the 44 units have been designated specifically for those 62 years of age and older or disabled. HUD residents usually pay 30% of their gross income for rent. Please call the office for availability and income limitations.




ADA Paratransit Service

In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Greater Hartford Transit District provides transportation services for individuals who, because of their disability, are unable to travel on the fixed route public transit service operated by CTtransit (Hartford, Bristol and New Britain Divisions). The paratransit service is designed to provide those persons with disabilities equal access to public transportation.




Tax Relief/ Renters Rebate

The Tax Relief program for elderly or totally disabled (through the Social Security Administrating) is available to state residents. Homeowners age 65 and over or totally disabled can apply for tax relief beginning February 1st through May 15theachyear. The applicant must own and reside in the property for which they are applying for property tax relief. Renters age 65 and over or totally disabled can apply for renter’s rebate May 15th through September 15th each year. Call the Assessor’s Office

860-793-0221 ext. 244

Assessor's Forms