Welcome to the Plainville Public Library Children’s Room!
The mission of the Children’s Department is to provide children, caregivers, and educators the resources they need to build literacy, curiosity, and creativity. While our rooms are lively spaces full of exploration and conversation, we do ask our young patrons and their families to follow a few rules of safety and courtesy to help make our library a pleasant place for all:
- Please use your “library voice” and avoid shouting in the library.
- Running, shoving, continuous “in and out” of the library, playing outside games such as hide and seek, loud/boisterous behavior, and playing in the elevator or on the staircase are examples of behavior that are not acceptable in the library.
- Please keep your shoes on at all times.
- Please put toys away and clean up after yourself when finished using library space.
- We ask that if you need to make or answer a call, please use the lobby upstairs, the hallway in front of the downstairs auditorium, or our outside space to do so.
- You may eat and drink in the Children’s Department as long as you are seated at a table. Please pay special attention that food is not left on the floor as there are small children about. There are waste baskets placed throughout the library and in every bathroom.
- Parents and caregivers are responsible for the safety, comfort, and behavior of their children while in the library. Please make sure your child comes to the library with a responsible person. All children are expected to abide by the Plainville Public Library’s patron behavior policy; disruptive children may be asked to leave the library.
- Children ages 9 and younger must be accompanied by an adult in the children’s room. (Parents, guardians, and caregivers are referred to the Connecticut General Statutes 53-21a which describes the legal consequences that can result from leaving children under the age of 12 unattended in a public place.)
- Adults without children are asked to abide by the Safe Child Policy Statement for using the children’s room (see below.)
Safe Child Policy Statement: Unaccompanied Adults
The Children’s area within the Plainville Public Library facility is intended for the use of children, their parents or responsible caregivers, and adults using the children’s collection (such as teachers and students of children's literature). Adults unaccompanied by a child may enter the Children’s area to obtain books or other materials, but are kindly requested to move to an adult reading/reference area once their selection has been made out of concern for the safety and comfort of our young patrons and their families. Extended browsing and/or remaining in the area by unaccompanied adults is not encouraged. Library staff may request adult patrons to move to the library’s adult reading/reference area.
Adopted by the Plainville Board of Trustees, February 9, 2016